Sweden and Denmark have banned its use entirely. Germany has imposed severe restrictions on its use, recommending that no amalgam restorations be placed in individuals with kidney disease, children, or any female of childbearing age, pregnant or not.
While the world’s largest manufacturer of dentistry metals has stopped producing amalgam, in North America, the American Dental Association (ADA) continues to approve mercury amalgam fillings. It is still the most common dental material used in your teeth, with 75% of our population still implanted with mercury amalgam fillings.
Dentists are taught that mercury is non-reactive when mixed with amalgam, yet scientific evidence has proven otherwise. Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that can damage your brain, central nervous system and kidneys. Combining mercury with alloys and placing them in your mouth does not make mercury amalgam fillings harmless. There is growing awareness that we are exposing ourselves to one of the most toxic metals known to science. As long as you have amalgam fillings in your mouth, you are breathing mercury vapors 24 hours a day.
Dentists are also taught stringent guidelines to handle mercury amalgam fillings as hazardous material before insertion in fillings and as toxic waste after removal. Yet, in an almost inconceivable twist of logic, they are told by the American/ Canadian Dental Association that amalgam fillings are considered safe when installed in the mouth.
On average an individual has 8 amalgam fillings and likely absorbs up to 120 micrograms of mercury per day. With every bite of food or drink of a hot or cold beverage, these poisonous vapors are being released from the fillings and absorbed into cells, tissues, organs, and across the blood-brain barrier into your central nervous system and brain.
Mercury vapor when in the body converts itself to methyl-mercury (the organic form of mercury). Methyl-mercury easily crosses the blood-brain barrier, where it has been found to be instrumental in the onset of Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, and other neurological disorders. It is important to mention that as toxic as elemental mercury is, methyl-mercury is 100 times more toxic. Naturally, the more amalgam fillings you have, the more you are putting your health at risk.
Symptoms of mercury poisoning may include:
- chronic fatigue
- food allergies
- numbness and tingling of extremities
- muscle tremors
- menstrual disorders
- intestinal disorders
- low back pain
- blurred vision
- even blindness.
The most readily available test for mercury toxicity is a hair analysis. A regular blood test is ineffective since mercury is quickly absorbed and stored in tissues, adrenals, thyroid, the brain and other organs. Once mercury toxicity is determined, a decision to remove the amalgams and have them replaced with porcelain or ceramic-resin composite restorations can be made. A gradual process is recommended to minimize the extent of mercury vapor and seepage into the body.
A dentist trained in the safe removal of mercury amalgam fillings is necessary and the consultation of a naturopathic physician is recommended, once the decision to remove amalgams has been made.
My own experience with mercury toxicity began with a diagnosis of M.S. in 1998. A hair analysis and 24 hour urine collection, after a DMPS injection (a mercury chelating agent), confirmed mercury toxicity. I then began an eight-month process of removing all 6 of my mercury amalgams by a “biological dentist”, trained in the safe removal of amalgam fillings. Under the observation of a naturopathic physician, I began a detoxification process using homeopathic remedies, DMPS injections, vitamin C injections, massage, etc. to assist the mercury in leaving my body, tissues, and organs. Many years later, my health continues to improve.
Thankfully, with scientific evidence mounting and growing awareness of the detrimental effects of mercury amalgam fillings, more and more people are beginning to take responsibility for their health and demanding alternatives.
~ Nancy Hall, R.H.N., Level X
Edlich, Richard F. [et al.] “Banning Mercury Amalgam.” 2010.
Matsen, John. “U.S. Congress Bill to Ban Dental Mercury,” Jan. 2004.